
There is just a bad feeling when you get an envelope in the mail that has a return address from the IRS. I have been filing my own taxes for 6 years with the exception of 1 year! I think it is silly to pay someone to file your taxes when there are such great programs and resources to do it yourself. In 2007 I was just WAY to busy to even utter the words "Itemization". This was when I was finishing my bachelors and just didn't have time. Of course the ONE time we went to H&R Block we WERE AUDITED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I immediately pulled out my tax returns for that year and saw the error almost right away. They tax preparer doubled our mortgage interest tax deduction from 14,000 to 28,000! So, we don't have to go through real audit since it was one error, but that error is costing us $2,000 by December 30th. When I called H&R Block and gave them a piece of my mind they said they only pay the penalties and interest, and even then I have to fill out a ton of paperwork. The part that sucks is the penalties and interest is only $164 of the $2,000.

On another thought... I WANT A KINDLE!
So far in the Ph.D. program I have print more than 10 reams of paper for articles that I have to read, highlight and take notes- besides taking down the APA citation for the literature. Plus I have to lug all those thick documents around in heavy bags. The Kindle would solve ALL of these issues. (Brian, hint hint!... my birthday's in February)
2 comments:
Kate's sister again here. You should check out a program called EndNote. The free version is available thru Cal Poly for its students but there is one you can buy. If you search for an article using EndNote, then you can tell it to format a citation for that paper using whatever format you want (APA, American Journal of Horticulture, anything!). I've been loving it. And I'm sure you'll have lots more to site in the coming months! Good luck!
Man that totally sucks. And Jim's comment below totally reminds me of Michael from the Office who tries to use big words and phrases but is always somehow just a little off in understanding what they really mean.
Post a Comment